Friday, July 20, 2007

Mary is my homegirl and Jesus is my hotrod

Bryan got me this shirt for Christmas 2 years ago. At the time I tries it on, it was way too small - I had belly fat hanging out, and bad back fat. Ewww! I have tried it on here and there over the last 2 years, and it never looked good enough for me to wear in public. Or in private, for that matter. I was getting clothes out this morning to wear for my walk, and as I rifled through my 'workout t-shirt' drawer, I found this at the very bottom. Hmmm. I wonder.....



Not bad, but how's the midsection....



I still have a little love handle action going on... and certainly, some of my tummy issues will only be resolved by surgery, but really, I can't believe that I'm wearing this, and what's more, I don't have that mantra of 'I'm fat, I look terrible, this is too tight" going through my head. I'm not 100% where I want to be, but I'd say I'm about 60% to my goal. Not just appearance, but strength, too.

In March of this year, I got my first kettlebell. It was only 9lbs, and I could only swing it about 60 reps. And I was winded at that! Now, four months later, I am consistently swinging 26lbs (12kg), 300 reps or more, working up to single swings, cleans, and presses. On a daily basis, when I look at my training, I feel like it's not enough. But when I look at the big picture, I can wee that I have come a really long way, and that it's just going to get better from here on out.

I made contact with the only certified KB trainer near me (he's in Lawrence, a college town about 45 minutes away.) and I'm going to have a few training sessions with him as a b-day present to myself. (Birthday is the 27th. 35 years old. Where the hell does the time go?) I'm anxious to have someone critique my form, and help me with snatches. I just can't get those right. I'm still missing that slight punching movement towards the top. So anyway, it'll be good. I'm excited to take it all up another notch.

No comments: