Monday, January 21, 2008

Where I become the bread goddess

Ya'll, I am getting it DOWN. My bread making skills (skillz?) Are becoming almost as legendary and magical as my cookie baking abilities. I had a minor setback yesterday, with a disastrous foray into whole wheat. Yes, whole wheat is healthier, blah blah blah... but for those of you that do not bake, are you aware that whole wheat flour is much heavier? And therefor harder, if not impossible to get a good rise? Let me just say this: after they came out of the oven, I got a call from Donald Rumsfeld asking if the US government could use my bread to bomb Fallujah. 

I'm saying that the bread is a little on the heavy side.

But today was a new day, and we need bread for the kids, so onward to the next 2 loaves. I decided to try a new recipe, labeled 'Old Fashioned Buttermilk Bread' in the really old cookbook that used to belong to my grandma. I made it, and oh my. Oh my goodness. It is quite possibly the tastiest bread. EVER. I made cinnamon toast for the kids, great big thick slices of bread, with butter and Penzy's Cassia cinnamon. Dear god in heaven, it was good.

I broke it down, and I believe I'm only spending about .50 a loaf. As opposed to $3.50 a loaf for crap ass Pepperidge Farm, or $5.25 for Great Harvest - which is healthier, but not nearly as tasty as mine. And mine still has fewer ingredients. 

I spend a crazy amount of time in the kitchen, and I feel like we are constantly running out of fruits and vegetables. But it's worth it. The kids are sleeping better, acting better, and I feel pretty good. I even feel as though I am reigning in my sugar addiction. A little.

No comments: