Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Where I ponder diets and ignore the state of my house

My house? Wow. It's bad. Luggage is STILL out and strewn all over the downstairs. Addie's room looks like a toy bomb went off. There is cat fur on every surface, I'm not even kidding. It's a rainy glum day, no trip to the pool today, so I have no excuse to not get everything in gear!

Diets. I am continually amazed and overwhelmed at the sheer volume of diet books out there. A lot of them similar, some radically different. Sometimes, you can find 2 different diets that tell you the EXACT opposite of the other. It's enough to make your head spin.

I've done a lot of thinking lately about food, how I eat now, versus how I ate back when I was thinner and in shape. When I was thin, I guess you could say my diet most closely resembled the Warrior Diet. I would have my coffee in the morning, and typically didn't eat much until the evening. This was also back when I was married to my first husband, who was of Indian decent. We ate mostly vegetarian Indian food. Lots of beans and lentils and veggies. I usually modified the recipes to cut out most of the fat (Indian food uses an obscene amount of butter and oil). I was also really physically active. Walked every day, went to the gym 3-4 times a week. I kept myself very busy. Most days, even now, I find that the WAY I eat is mostly like the WD. I am not a breakfast eater. I seriously have a hard time choking down food first thing in the morning. When I do eat breakfast, I feel energized, but I have found that I tend to eat MORE throughout the day. I have no idea why. But the days I try to follow the "eat sensibly and often" rule, I really eat waaaaay too much. If I have my coffee, and then go on about my day, I typically will have a snack late afternoon (between 2-4pm) that consists of either a handful of nuts, or a banana with peanut butter, or a slice of cheese with a bite or two of lunch meat. Then I eat dinner between 5 and 7pm. Dinner is usually chicken or fish, salad, and/or veggie. I make a starch for the kids (rice, pasta, or bread) but I usually avoid it unless I'm still hungry. I do allow myself dessert if I am having a serious sweet tooth, but I'm getting better at controlling it. Yesterday, I actually did have lunch, a small bowl of gazpacho and a slice of whole wheat bread from Great Harvest. Dinner was a fantabulous salad of chicken, grilled eggplant, fresh spinach, tomatoes, olives, feta, basil, mint, oregano (from the garden), and balsamic vinaigrette. It was heavenly. I had a little bit of ice cream for dessert.

I haven't been eating enough fruit lately, I'm not sure why. I have cantaloupe and strawberries in the fridge, and I haven't had any. I've been on more of a veggie kick lately. Especially the tartness of the gazpacho. It's like a crunchy bloody mary, minus the vodka.

So there's my food rant. I'm getting better with the food thing, but I still feel like I need to tweak it more. I don't count calories anymore, mainly because I know roughly what I'm getting each day. I'm trying to keep snacking under control, and it's been a lot better. I just want to step on that scale and be below 130. I will feel like I've accomplished something then.


(ETA: I went on my food diary.com, and recorded the last several days of eating - something I haven't done for awhile - and found my calories are a lot lower than I thought. A serious conundrum. Why is the weight not coming off faster? Between heavier swings and less food - but good food!- I feel I should be seeing more results. Oh well, what choice do I have? Just keep doing what I', doing, things should start working soon.)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

You know, we all do it differently. When you get stressed, you eat. When I get stressed, I STOP eating, lose my appetite constantly feel nauseous. One is not better than the other. Its the stress that's the problem.
Also recovering from vacation is never easy. YOu always need a vacation from the vacation...
So glad you guys came out Saturday. It was so fun.

Christine said...

We had a blast! We should plan a grown-ups only evening, too! Name a weekend that looks good for you guys!